The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Friday, August 05, 2005

Ain't Too Proud to Beg

Saturday evening, I have an oppty to perform in front of a rep from HBO's Aspen Comedy Festival. However, I am required to bring a minimum of 10 people to the show. Many, many, many of my fans (friends who've continually supported me despite witnessing countless hacks--Evil Baby, anyone?) are out of town.

It's August. Most New Yorker's take vacations in August, especially doctors. Therefore, I don't recommend taking part in any dangerous activities because the only M.D.s available to save your ass aren't worth their weight in stethoscopes. There's a reason they're stuck here. American Indians came up with a brilliant adage to describe these docs. It goes, 'Low man on totem pole.' I figure, what with the pending malpractice suit and 3rd divorce, they can't afford a vacation. I wouldn't let 'em lay a tongue depresser on me.

I do recommend coming to see me do 10 extraordinary minutes of mind-blowingly spectacular stand up. That's a lie. It's not a recommendation. It's a plea. If I don't put at least 10 peeps in the seats, I'll suffer the indignity of getting a late spot in the line-up and I guarantee my set will get cut to, like, 4-5 minutes. That's not gonna get me to Aspen.

HELP!
DATE: This Saturday, August 6th
PLACE: New York Improv Comedy Club 318 W. 53rd Street (Between 8th and 9th Ave.)
SHOWTIME: 7:00 p.m. Doors Open at 6:30
COVER: $15. Only $12 if advance reservation is made on VIP line: 212-465-3108

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Friday, August 05, 2005

3 Comments:

  • How did it go?

    By Blogger BTExpress, at 10:45 PM  

  • Fabulously! Thanks for asking.

    It was honestly one of my top 3 performances ever, perhaps even the best. I killed and was incredibly pleased.

    And, not 24 hours later, the booker called to invite me to do the Improv's 4pm shows during the week. Mainly a tourist thing but it's a gig, and it's a huge club w/ a big name, so I am over the moon.

    Plus: I have a great 7 minute tape now, too.

    By Blogger Shannon E. Ennis, at 12:55 PM  

  • But wait! There's more. The Improv producer has a friend who's a producer at LOGO, the all-homo channel. He says they're always looking for comics. So, this LOGO producer is coming to check me out at the Improv's 9pm show on Monday.

    When it rains, it fucking pours. I have begun praying that I won't squander this oppty. I suggest you do the same. Many thanks.

    By Blogger Shannon E. Ennis, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!