The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Friday, September 09, 2005

Eat Your Heart Out, Dostoevsky



Once in a while, I shamelessly flaunt my fancy, pricey and (for the most part) useless college education. Thanks, Mom! Read below show off.

I've been revisiting a few of my favorite books lately because I cannot bear to read any more self-help manuals right now. I’d rather revel in the stories of others than exist in the mangled, quirky masterpiece I call my own. Yesterday, I remembered this beautiful passage from the last pages of The Hours. Prior to reading Cunningham's novel, in which he deftly intertwines the lives of 3 women who share a subtle and profound connection, I’d never been literarily knocked to the floor by a single paragraph. In the excerpt above, he encapsulates the whole book by breaking the characters down to a sound bite. Then he uses the pronoun ‘we’ to connect the experiences of those 3 women to what unites all of us - sleep and death. In 5 sentences, Cunningham connects all humankind by joining us together through the simplicity of our bodies and our physical reality. He suggests that while life is finite and ripe with unavoidable darkness, profound joy and seemingly endless hours of wonder await us. And they're worth it.

Fuckin' Awesome, eh? Man, I could make a lot of cash if I could figure out how to write real sensitive, girly shit like that! I'd buy myself expensive g-strings and find out if the silk and yak's fur ones are as uncomfortable as what I get at Old Navy.

Yeah, yeah dude, the hours, on and on, happy and sad, blah, blah. I gotcha. Don't fucking whack me over the head with your pussy prose, ya faggot writer. I ain't an idiot. So what, this shit won a Wurlitzer Prize? When I was 9, I won a dance contest to Prince's "Let's Go Crazy." So, suk it. Posted by Picasa

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Friday, September 09, 2005

3 Comments:

  • NO INTEREST. YOU'RE RUINING IT FOR THE REAL ANONYMOUS, ASSHOLE. YOU DON'T LIKE MY BLOG. YOU HAVEN'T READ MY BLOG, B/C IF YOU DID, YOU'D HATE IT.

    I'LL BLOCK EVERYONE IF THIS SHIT KEEPS UP. WARNING: DON'T RUIN THIS FOR THE POOR SHITS WHO THINK I'M INTERESTING AND FUNNY, WHO MIGHT WANT TO LIE TO ME, AND BE ALL, 'I THINK YOUR BLOG IS THE CAT'S MEOW, SHANNON. LET ME COME TO YOUR APARTMENT AND ARRANGE YOUR SHOES.'

    By Blogger Shannon E. Ennis, at 8:18 PM  

  • Hey, if you do need to "block everyone", that'll certainly suck! However, don't think just cuz I think this stuff is worth reading (that part is not a lie) that I'm rearranging your shoes (that part might be a lie)!!!! Anyway, what's with the Hours? It just seems so unnecessarily complicated and burdensome...sort of like holding on to a heavy box of stuff that's straining your back and making you tired, but you just don't want to let it go because for some reason you think it's valuable, or something you can't (won't) leave behind, or even let go of occasionally. Anyway, sucks about the freaky anon-imposters! Enjoy the nice weather and kick ass at your gig!
    -s

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Re; THE HOURS as "...unnecessarily complicated and burdensome...sort of like holding on to a heavy box of stuff that's straining your back and making you tired, but you just don't want to let it go because for some reason you think it's valuable, or something you can't (won't) leave behind, or even let go of occasionally."

    Heavy boxes are my thing. Eldest child, ACOA, bed-wetting liberal, Irish, pseudo-intellectual, brooding temperment. Sometimes straining the ol' back and getting tired IS valuable. It makes us strong, better for having moved the box, to have exercised those muscles. It's cathartic to 'go there' on occasion.

    By Blogger Shannon E. Ennis, at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!