The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Monday, September 12, 2005

Hazy Shade of Pale

  • Sunday was the opening weekend of the 2005-06 NFL season. The Chicago Bears were defeated by the Washington Redskins by a margin of 2 points. For the next 16 weeks, I will root for my Bears as though this never happened.
  • In more consoling NFL news, the Detroit Lions beat the Green Bay Fudge Packers, 17 – 3. Ahhh, smile.
  • A few of my sorority sisters came to my Improv show on Saturday. I am blessed to have these women in my life, 10 years after our careers as Boston University ADPi girls. They are grown women now, more beautiful and lovely than ever. Their friendship and support means the world to me. In my act, I do a silly joke about what it was like to be a latent lesbo in a sorority, and the punch line compares the situation to being at an all-you-can-eat buffet without eating anything, and they actually laughed, proving once again that I have excellent taste in babes. I hope that Saturday was as enjoyable a mini-reunion for them as it was for me. Hopefully, they're not just star fuckers.
  • P.S. – I killed on Saturday. They'd better be star fuckers if they know what's good for them.
  • This weekend, I made a life altering change. I took out the earring I got as a 21st birthday present to myself—it was my first unusual piercing, in the cartilage of my left ear, all the way up top. It was my first attempt at a Lesbian Signifier. The chycks in “Go Fish” had it, why not The Shan? Good enough for Guin Turner was certainly good enough for me. But at 30, it felt silly. I’ve got both of my tragus pierced, so in earring land, I remain slightly funky. Still, moving on is difficult. I feel the pain of loss. It’s not a 2 point dump to the Redskins, but it’s left a hole nonetheless.
  • Watching Andre Agassi lose the U.S. Open Championship in 4 sets to Roger Federer was exhausting. Afterward I took a 3 ½ hour nap. Thank God there isn’t any Grand Slam tennis ‘til next year in Australia because I’m pooped!
  • This weekend the U.S. Open marked the close of the tennis season. The NFL began its season this weekend. The Emmy Awards (given for last season's best TV) will take place next Sunday. The new TV season begins this week. My Fall wardrobe is poised to make its debut. Soon I will sip hot cider. I am sliding off my chair as I type. Je t'aime Fall, bitch.

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Monday, September 12, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!