The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Monday, October 17, 2005

My Panda, My Namesake

Photo: I think we 'bear' a strong resemblance to each other. The dark circles under the eyes, the listless look, pouty, head tilted, so as to say, "I love you. Don't touch me." I'm dying to ask her how she snagged the chicks with gloves to measure her ass. (That blond one looks like she's really into it.) When she's fully grown, all 400 lbs. of her, our hinies will be the same size.


















I have loved her since her birth. I've posted her pictures as she's grown. She's changed a lot, developed eyes, hair and...well, eyes. And now, The Shan is proud to announce, she has my name.

Meet Tai Shan, everybody! Chinese tradition says that a panda shall not receive a formal name until 100 days after its birth. This morning, at Washington's National Zoo, 100 days since she splashed onto the scene, the zoo named the cub Tai Shan, which means peaceful mountain in Chinese.

I feel like I've been given my very own panda. Congratulations on your naming, Tai Shan. May you wear it well, always. Some motherly advice, when in public, please chew your bamboo with your mouth closed. I'm coming to see you as soon as I can.

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Monday, October 17, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!