The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Rosh Hos-Ramadan!

This morning, my coffee guy told me that he's Muslim. The news almost blasted me out of my lawn green JCrew summer weight chinos. He looked like an Episcopal to me, an overcooked Episcopal, but Episcopal nonetheless. (I'm on the lookout for Protestants with "good color." I always knew they were dangerous.) He went on to tell me that he is fasting for a month. And I said, "For Ramadan?" And he said, "How do you know that? Wow." And I said, "I am very aware and respecful of religions other than my own. I have an open heart and mind." That's a load of crap. I wouldn't know Ramadan from the Ramada. But he did say that he was fasting from sun up to sundown. And I go, "Well, that's no big deal. You'll make it through the day." And he corrected me, saying, "No, for a month. For a month I fast during daylight hours." My sensitive retort: "Oh, Jesus!"

Assalamualaikum, coffee guy. I still love you, even though you're Muslim. Good luck w/ that fasting business. It's gonna be tough standing in your cart with all those doughnuts and rolls and bagels. Yummy carbohydrates vs. Honor thy Islam. I'd go with a muffin over Muhammad any day.

Lest I forget, to all my Jewish brothas and sistahs out there, hope you're enjoying your day off. Happy New Year. See you tomorrow. At work. Where I've been all day. Catholic and productive.

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Tuesday, October 04, 2005

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!