The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One Homo = Funny. Many Homos = Fabulous

I love smart, gay comedy! I love smart, gay comedians even more! Last night's show at Mo' Pitkins, CHICKS & GAYGGLES, was so much fun. The fact that there was only ONE straight person on the bill (no offense Jen, props to your hetero humor) was surprisingly empowering, even fulfilling. I had no idea how good it could feel to be The Majority, and to celebrate the uniqueness of comedy from a gay perspective. On a personal level, being gay has always influenced my material. Whether or not my sexuality was an element in my act night after night, I always identified as a gay comedian. But I'd never had the collective experience before last night. I felt like we threw a great party, and it was wonderful. Special thanks to Nichelle and Carolyn, producers of "Chicks & Giggles," for treating me to (1) The experience of participating in an all-female show, and (2) The unexpected joy of doing an all gay show. What you guys provide the NYC comedy scene, if there is such a thing, is cause for 'big ups.' Props to all the hilarious homos, too: Poppi, Claudia, Shawn, Michael and Allen. Well done.

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Wednesday, November 30, 2005

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!