The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Land at Me, Return to Me For the Night

I love to Google myself. It's like looking at a mirror repeatedly assuring yourself, "Hey, Superstar!" via the internet. Soothing the ego feels great. I often get a few hits for myself, but I also get shit like this:

In November we're considering driving to the Cliffs of Moyer upon landing at Shannon, and return to Shannon for the night.

A "Shannon Ennis" search will yeild all kinds of Ireland-related travel links.

My first name, SHANNON, happens to be the name of a major river in Ireland as well as the name for one of Ireland's 2 primary airports. Shannon Airport is the gateway to the West of Ireland servicing many destinations throughout Europe and the US. And the River Shannon, Ireland's longest river, divides the West of Ireland (mostly the province of Connaught) from the east and south (Leinster and most of Munster). The river has been an important waterway since antiquity.

My last name, ENNIS, is the county town of Clare. Situated on the River Fergus, it lies north of Limerick and south of Galway on the main N18 road connecting these two cities. Good to know in case you get lost wandering from pub to pub.

That's the U.S. equivalent of being named Mississippi Montpelier O' Hare. (Psst! Ireland doesn't have states, dipshit, they have counties. Ennis is basically a capital city Ireland.) I'd laugh my ass off if someone handed me that I.D.

I'm Shannon Ennis, yes the real Shannon. All you other Shannon Ennis are just imitating. So, won't the real Shannon Ennis please stand up? Please stand up. Please stand up!

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Wednesday, June 21, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!