The Shan Speaks: Notes from the Small but Wise

Wednesday, July 19, 2006


Athlete Kathy Brennan (R) of Washington, D.C., helps to apply tanner on Forrest of Ferndale, Michigan, before the Physique competition during Gay Games VII in Evanston, Illinois, July 18, 2006.

There are so many things going on in this picture that it hurts my brain when I look at it. A joke overload? An influx of material? Oui.

OK, so Kathy is the applier of lotion. She's Kathy Brennan from D.C., and she's lubing WHO? Forrest of Ferndale Michigan? Is Forrest a sur name? How much does it suck to be gay AND a chyck named Forrest? Double the mockery! The burden she must bear! (Which reminds me of this midget lesbian I saw playing pool in a dyke bar. She's probably the gutsiest person I know. Well, her and Kevin Federline's record producer. Or Steve Buschemi's dentist.)

The picture isn't just funny, tho. It's so indicative of the way our culture perceives and portrays gay men and women. Consider this: I didn't have to search for this pic. It popped up on Yahoo news photos when I searched Gay Games. And it happens to be one of the most viewed photos of the day. I had to go through about 10 photos of the GG before I found one depicting PEOPLE COMPETING IN SPORTS ACTIVITIES.

Think of all the action at the Gay Games. Gays actually competing. There are easily a bazillion events, a bazillion opportunities for amazing sports photography. But wait, sorry, I forgot we're talking about the homos. Screw the athletes! Fuck the Gay Games! Catch the gays doing their thing--being really gay, of course--and take as many photos as you can! I'd better not see a real guy jumping a hurdle! How about the fags doing synchronized swimming? First one to deliver pics of a dyke in the midst of her shot put gets a hug from Greg Louganis!

posted by Shannon E. Ennis at Wednesday, July 19, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Add to Technorati Favorites!